Wiseman's Bridge Rowing Club FacebookTwitter

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GRR 2018 Introduction (Read 13872 times)
Brian
God Member

'It's Better to burn out....
than to fade away!!'

GRR 2018 Introduction
May 22nd, 2018 at 10:55pm

This year's Great River Race will take place on Sat 8th September!

All members are welcome to put their names down, including novices and junior's. This year we hope will be the best attendance yet by hopefully introducing the GRR Cycle! This will be arranged on a separate post but we are looking into having a team cycle the Thames as a social event supporting our rower's, as some of you will remember the Legend that is Sian Attwell introduced this in 2014!

For those of you who are new to the club The Great River Race is London's River Marathon. A spectacular boat race up the River Thames, it attracts over 330 crews from all over the globe. The Great River Race appeals to every level of competitor! From dedicated athletes who like winning, to those who enjoy laughter, fancy dress and charity stunts, it's a great fun weekend away!

We will be departing Wiseman's bridge early Friday morning and stopping at Chippenham Pit Stop for lunch before arriving at Richmond to unload the boats and register for the race, souvenirs are available for purchase at the registration tent, these include books and t-shirts etc. Boats have to be launched for the tow down service by 6pm!  We will then make our way to Shandon House Hotel or the campsite before meeting at The Red Cow Pub for drinks as is tradition.  Please note We expect all rowers to help launch the boats as this can be tricky.  We will then be dining at Bueneos Aires Argentinian Steak House. Please note a table will be booked for those travelling up together, however anyone arriving later may want to make their own arrangements. Also with camping there is a bbq available at the campsite on the Friday night.

Saturday morning is an early one as we will be catching the buses to the start line at 6.30am.  Hot drinks, and bacon rolls etc are available at the start line and portaloos are also available. This is a great opportunity to take group photos and meet other rowers. The boats will need to be set up ready so you must be prepared to help there, but this is a fun event so enjoy yourselves Cheesy

At the finishing line assistance will be needed to retrieve the boats as this is usually chaotic. The boats will need to be dragged up the bank and then dollied through to the trailer park so again we will need all hands at the ready but hopefully our cyclists will also be there to assist.
Food and drinks are available at the finishing line!

There is a party to follow,  going back to the hotel to shower and change is optional. There is a fancy dress competition but usually involves a lot of waiting around when we could be drinking!

Cost for taking part in the race is as follows:-
Adults. £100 per person
Juniors £65.25 per person
(Prices include tow down service and bus to start line)

There is also a passenger boat for anyone who would like to follow the race without rowing or cycling, you would be responsible for bookingnthis yourself, please ask for further details but the cost would be:-
Adult £31.50
Child under 16 £15.75
Child under 6 Free
Family 2xAdult 2xChild £75

In addition to the race costs will be travelling costs (petrol and bridge), and accommodation which also has a separate post. Please see that post to reserve your room.

Please post below if you are interested...oh and did I mention It's fancy dress? 🤡

IP Logged

Brian
God Member

than to fade away!!'

Re: GRR 2018 Introduction
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:57pm

So far:-

Di and Gary (Gary towing)
Nikki and Rachel (Rachel possibly towing)
Libby and Graham

IP Logged

Rebecca

Whitland
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:54am

Hi,

Steve and I would like to join you  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
God Member

than to fade away!!'

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 10:32am

Just the one boat going so far this year:-

Di and Gary
Libby and Graham
Dan and Jess

Double Ensuite rooms are booked under Liz Lloyd, Diane Hodgeson and Dan McDermott at Shandon House. Will discuss deposits to get boat booked in shortly!

IP Logged

Dustbin Dan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 6:58am

Come on people sort it out! Let’s have some names!

IP Logged

Hunter
YaBB Administrator

I can "Hang Tough" with
the best of them!!

Third rock from the sun
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:13am

Unlikely me and gog will make it... but you never know! !

When You need to harden the f*** up before a race, I find a spoon full of cement helps!!

IP Logged

Jake

Saundersfoot
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 11:53pm

Elizabeth and I would like to join you.

IP Logged

Rodders
God Member

I'll give it a go!!

Wiseman's Bridge
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 9:56am

sorry guys, entered Saundersfoot tri which is on the same weekend, have a good one, I know you will Cheesy Wink

Cheers Rodders

IP Logged

Brian
God Member

than to fade away!!'

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 1:22pm

So we have one mixed boat going to London

Di and Gary
Libby and Graham
Jake and Elizabeth

Still hoping to get another boat but we'll have to see x

IP Logged

Diane H
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 9:48am

Sorry Nikki.  Gary and I are going to withdraw if only one boat going.

IP Logged

libby
God Member

'Living the Dream'

tenby
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 7:17am

We will pull out too now as there isn't enough people  going  sorry Nikki  I love London  x

Libby

IP Logged

Brian
God Member

than to fade away!!'

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 4:18pm

Very sorry for this Guys, I have cancelled the hotel bookings,  hopefully next year x

IP Logged

Jet
God Member

Live to row!

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 5:29pm

Unfortunately as it’s around £100 for a seat in the boat plus two nights accommodation and the party, it has become rather an expensive race to do - particularly if there are two of you! Definitely one to maybe pencil in for next year as it is an experience! They are in danger of pricing people out as it has increased by quite a bit over the years though Sad

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog!"

IP Logged

libby
God Member

'Living the Dream'

tenby
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:01pm

I am so sorry Nikki I am gutted we didn’t get a boat together in the end. I love London but I think taking one boat makes it economically such an expense that it puts people off going  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Perhaps the commitee can  see now that the mileage payment for towing is too high for our  towers who are also members of the club. I don’t know why it is set at such a high rate. I agree fuel expenses,parking etc.should be covered but surely that is enough. Perhaps the commitee could also consider that with the money the club is generating from different parts and the towing money float, that it could be helping our Celtic rowing team by subsidising challenge races with towing costs such as the like of  London and Anglesey that are so prohibitively expensive owing to the mileage and hotel costs added on to race fees, after all Rowing is supposed to be what the club is about after all.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:48pm by libby »  

Libby

IP Logged

Rodders
God Member

I'll give it a go!!

Wiseman's Bridge
Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:40am

I agree with Libby re the towing cost, too high, all that's needed is to cover the fuel price, especially if we share the towing around, food for thought if the cost of racing is what is putting people off Wink Wink

Cheers Rodders

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print